Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Wednesday Wonders: DEATH IS ALWAYS A RESIDENT




Today's Wednesday Wonders features guest author Lorraine Jeffery and her cozy mystery, Death Is Always a Resident.

Book Description:

Jan Myers has dedicated her career to helping the elderly. But after one of the elderly residents under her care mysteriously dies, Jan's career, her daughter, and everything she loves is suddenly in jeopardy. The police become involved and a law suit if filed. It's up to Jan to piece together the clues and find out what happened before it's too late!


Excerpt:

“I could hear breathing on the line and then a man said real low, ‘Did you get my little present?’ He sounded so scary.”
 

“I said, ‘What present?’ And he didn’t say anything for a minute. Then he laughed and said, ‘This is Heather, isn’t it?’ I was too scared to answer but he knew who I was.”
 

Jan caught her breath and pulled Heather to her, hugging her tight . . .
 

“Did he say anything else?” Jan asked her daughter.
 

Heather looked at the floor. “He said, ‘Your mother kills old people.’ ”





Author Bio:


Lorraine Jeffery earned her bachelor’s degree in English and her MLIS in library science, and  managed public libraries in Texas, Ohio and Utah for over twenty years. She has won poetry prizes in state and national contests and has published over fifty poems in various publications, including Clockhouse, Kindred, Calliope, Ibbetson Street,and Rockhurst Review. She has published short stories in War Cry, The Standard and Segullah. Her articles have appeared in Focus on the Family, Mature Years, and Utah’s Senior Review, as well as other publications.  She is the mother of ten children (eight adopted) and currently lives with her husband in Orem, Utah.

Q & A with Lorraine:

Q. What inspired you to write this book?



A. My maternal grandmother was interested in health care, but she raised her family during the Great Depression and had little time to pursue her dream. When she was in her fifties, she went to school and earned her LPN and then mortgaged the family home and bought a small health care facility for the elderly. She loved her work, and I grew up working in the facility and hearing about the challenges an joys of running it.



I enjoy mysteries, and so naturally, my protagonist is the manager of a health care facility. She finds her own strength and independence while saving both her career and the health care facility.



Q. How do you deal with writer's block?



A. My challenge is not writer's block. My challenge is to make time in my busy schedule to do what I enjoy so much.



Q. What are you currently working on?



A. I am a first and foremost, a poet, so I am always writing poetry. I also write essays and short stories. I am thinking about writing another novel, but haven't settled on the story line yet.



Q. Do you schedule your writing time?



A. I found that regulating time works better for me than settling goals (i.e. to finish this or publish that). I write about eighteen hours a week, some weeks more and some weeks less depending on my other responsibilities.

Author Links:


Purchase Links:






No comments:

Post a Comment