Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Wednesday Wonders: THE HEIR


Dan Bradfield is the boy Sarah adores, but is he really what he seems?
 Today's Wednesday Wonders features science fiction romance guest author Lynne Stringer and her novel, The Heir.


Book description:
 

Sarah hates the prestigious high school she attends. Most of the other students ignore her. The only good thing about school is the presence of Dan Bradfield, the boy she adores. Dan is the heir to his father's multinational computer company, but he is dating Sarah's best friend, Jillian. When tragedy strikes, Dan is the one who is there for Sarah, but she can't shake the feeling there is something strange about him. Is he protecting her from something? Is there something going on that she doesn't know about? And did she really see a monster in the bushes? Sarah is desperate to uncover the truth, but it could take her to another galaxy, and change everything she believes about who she is. Will it bring Dan and Sarah closer together or tear them apart? The Heir is the first book in the Verindon Trilogy.


Excerpt from The Heir:
 

   It was well into the night by the time I went to bed, but my eyelids had begun drooping long before Dan could convince me to go.
    “Come on, Sarah,” he said, dragging me towards the stairs. “We can pick this up in the morning.”
    I was happy to go to bed by that time. I knew what would happen as soon as my head hit the pillow.
    But as I was lying in my bed, waiting to fall asleep, I noticed a sound.
    Drip … drip … drip …
   I frowned. Had I left the faucet running in the bathroom? I jumped up and turned on the light. No. It was off. The sound wasn’t coming from there. Had I imagined it?
    Drip … drip … drip …
    I turned on the light in my room. Was there a faucet somewhere else? Or maybe it was some pipe in the wall?
Then I saw it and my jaw dropped.
    On the bedside table, where I had tossed it, was my father’s
computer device. And the table underneath it was melting!
I hurried over to check that my mind wasn’t playing tricks on
me. No, it wasn’t. Directly underneath the device the table was
oozing brown goo and dripping it all over the floor.
    I snatched up the device. Was it hot? Surely it couldn’t be hot
enough to melt wood! Was that even possible?
    But no, it wasn’t hot, not that hot, anyway, although its readouts
were still flickering dramatically.
    I frowned and looked at the floor. Much to my astonishment,
the brown ooze had disappeared, even though there had been a
puddle a moment ago. Had it dribbled away somewhere? I couldn’t
see any sign of it.
    I reached down and touched the bottom of the table. It felt dry
and smooth. No mark at all.
    I jumped out of my skin as I heard a knock on my door. Still trying
to explain the brown ooze to myself, I went over and opened it.
    Dan was there. “Hey. Just making sure that you’re okay.”
    “I’m fine,” I said, trying to come back to reality.
    His eyes flickered down to the box in my hand for a moment.
“Okay. Goodnight, then.”
    I shut the door and turned back to my room. Could grief bring
on hallucinations? I had no idea. I had been under a lot of stress.
Maybe that’s what it was.
    I put the device back on the beside table and watched closely to
see if anything started to melt under it. Nope. It looked fine now.
And when I turned the light off I could hear nothing.
    Definitely imagination. I sighed and went to sleep.
    In the morning the first thing I did was check the bedside table
to make sure that there was no problem with it. As expected, it
looked completely normal, but there was something different in
the room from when I had gone to sleep.
    My father’s little device had disappeared.
    I searched all around, but I couldn’t find it anywhere. I checked
all the nooks and crannies I could find – behind the bed, in the
bathroom – everywhere I thought it might fit. I even checked my
bag again just to make sure I hadn’t put it back in there. There was
no sign of it. It was gone.

Author bio:
 
Lynne Stringer has been passionate about writing all her life, beginning with short stories in her primary school days. She began writing professionally as a journalist and was the editor of a small newspaper (later magazine) for seven years, before turning her hand to screenplay writing and novels. Lynne currently works as a professional editor and proofreader. She lives in Australia with her husband and young son.


Author Links:

Book Website  |  Author Website  

Goodreads Amazon Author Page  | Pinterest  |  Shelfari  |  Booklikes

Purchase Links:

Amazon  |  Non-Amazon Readers  |  Wombat Books

          (Autographed copies available from Wombat Books)

No comments:

Post a Comment